May 30, 2013

Pizza to cheat

Busy. Busy. Busy.

Oh, yes. I've been quite busy lately. With almost no time to sleep, no time to feel tired and only a few scattered moments to eat in order to function as efficiently as one could function in those kind of circumstances. Early mornings, late evening and a lot of coffee in between. But at the end of the day there was only a senseless mind no longer able to operate or withstand a single dream.

And that was close to a nightmare.

For the last couple of months my whole world was defined by a computer space while I was desperately trying to find the right words and the way to connect them to each other. Searching for meaning and a bagful of blurred answers. Eliminating the questions, but at the end still asking them again and seeing a blank page in front of me. Empty. Demanding for more words. Giving more questions. Looking for more answers.

The blog was dead for almost a month (sorry for that guys!), though I've been pretty alive on instagram or facebook. My email was packed with nearly a thousand unread messages, while I was trying to pretend being concentrated on what's important at the given moment. Was I?

And I've only been writing a thesis! Though, it seems as if I've been fighting a war. With myself. With my self-esteem. My will. My strength. My resolution... I know and I'm sure, one day life is going to bring me a task way tougher to deal with, bus so far this was something I wouldn't want to relive again.

Tortilla Pizza with Caramelized  Onions, Pears and Gorgonzola

And you know what was the first thing I did after handing in my thesis? I went for pizza. Yes, pizza! Large, crispy, super cheese-y pizza I had been craving for quite some time. With every bite it was slowly healing my wounds and, I'm telling you, it couldn't be anything else to fulfill and satisfy as much as that pizza did.

Maybe it's because I rarely make pizzas at home, and if I do - I cheat. Like this time, when instead of putting a little bit more effort to make a nice crust I just used a tortilla, which, as a matter of fact, is not the worst option at all. I had some way more disastrous experiences when trying to execute a perfectly nice home-made crust.

However, when it comes to topping, there is no place for cheating. Which means, you have to create a perfect balance of textures and flavors so that every single bite would give you a magical feeling of crispiness, softness, sweetness, spiciness, mildness, sharpness and maybe even freshness. And since I really love to have some sweet tones on my lunch or dinner plate, I never mind the sweetness to play the lead role on my pizza. That's why the combination of sweetly sourish caramelized onions, sweet and refreshing pear, sharp but heavenly creamy Gorgonzola, a few rough walnuts and earthy sage leaves is a thing to die for. Try it - you'll love it!

Tortilla Pizza with Caramelized  Onions, Pears and Gorgonzola

Tortilla Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Pears, Gorgonzola, and Sage

for a single pizza:
1 tortilla
2 small or 1 medium-large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp balsamic vinegar, depending on your taste
salt
pepper
1 medium pear, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Gorgonzola or Cambozola, or any other blue cheese from a creamy kind
small handful of walnuts, coarsely chopped
fresh sage

Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) temperature.
In a medium saucepan, sauté the onions until they are soft and transparent, for about 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in the vinegar, lower the heat and keep on sauteing until all the liquid is evaporated and onions are soft, translucent and slightly crispy.
When onions are done, spread them evenly on tortilla. Top with sliced pear, crumbled Gorgonzola, walnuts, and sage. Transfer your pizza on a baking sheet and put it in the oven to bake for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and the pear is softened. Just be careful not to over bake, cause tortilla is very thin and  may quickly turn from crispy to charred.

Tortilla Pizza with Caramelized  Onions, Pears and Gorgonzola

Very similar:
- Pizza with Sour Rhubarb Sauce, Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese

9 comments:

  1. ...o po to vieną dieną ima ir susišviečia, kad tau reikia magistro. ir vėl viskas iš pradžių... :)))

    'čyterio' pica nuodėmingai skaniai atrodo :) derinys tiesiog tobulas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. visko gali būti :) bet aš viliuosi, jog magistras ar bet kokie kiti tolimesni mokslai nebus tokie žlugdantys, kokie buvo šie :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!! I am glad for you that your nightmare is over. And I am glad for us - your readers - that hopefully now you'll be here more often and I'll be delighted again with your recipes and phantastic photos.
    And... I'd still like to wish you that writing a thesis were the toughest task in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so pleased to know that I'm eagerly awaited, and I promise, from now on, I will be more consistent and frequent blogger ;)

      Delete
  3. Last night, I made the sauce for your rhubarb/onion/blue cheese pizza. While I was waiting for it to cook, I perused your blog and ended up starting the pumpkin/cheese bread, which is currently in it's final rise. I know I'd love the above recipe - so I think I really, really like your blog!

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm really happy that everything turned out great and delicious and that you liked it ;) Let's hope it stays that way! I'm thrilled to have such a lovely reader :)

      Delete
    2. Just to let you know, on my foodgawker favourites page, I rate all the recipes I try on a scale of 1 to 10. (well, 7 to 10, because why save a recipe that's lower than a 7? And all the 7s are recipes that are because of mistakes that I've made, but I digress). I had to give the "rhubarb/onion/blue cheese pizza" an 11. Impressive, dramatic and DELICIOUS!

      Delete
  4. "I had some way more disastrous experiences when trying to execute a perfectly nice home-made crust." Hehe everybody had! :-P
    Well this ain't the pizza we're used to... but seems like it turned out to be something really delicious. We should try it!

    ReplyDelete