March 30, 2013

Whole-Wheat Lemon and Sour Cream Bundt Cake with Poppy Seed Filling

“There is no love sincerer than the love of food.” 
George Bernard Shaw


Whole Wheat Lemon and Sour Cream Bundt Cake with Poppy Seed Filling

am obsessed. With food. Totally.

For that reason, more often than not, I find myself in the weirdest situations no straight-minded person could and would ever understand. I would spend hours in a grocery store even if I came only for a bottle milk. I would slowly and deliberately wonder through the isles, searching for something new, something alluring, something I haven't seen before, checking almost every single item that might seem interesting or just worth checking. Once more. 

I would go to the market for no reason, just to take a look at the produce, or to have a nice chat with a cheese-monger or a honey-lady who for the thousandth time will try to convince me to buy her glorious honey. And for the thousandth time I'll be searching for the right words to say no.

Then, undoubtedly,  I would  cast a glance at a few bakeries right on the corner, even though I wasn't planning to purchase anything from there that day. What can I do, I just love that smell of sugar and butter deeply penetrated into the ceilings, into that lonely window still, into every single old-fashioned chair-back and somehow adorably worn tablecloth. This smell  embraces you the very first second you open the door. It entangles into your hair, climbs into your pockets, wraps up into your scarf and leaves you standing all spellbound in fascination. As a matter of fact, I could stand like this forever, enjoying that glamorous aroma of cookies crispying up in the oven, when each minute releases another smell tone into the thick air.

Whole Wheat Lemon and Sour Cream Bundt Cake with Poppy Seed Filling

Everywhere I go, my eyes are catching the food. I cannot help but notice what people are eating on the street, what they are buying at the grocery store, subsequently thinking about all the possible ways to prepare and combine the ingredients they've just purchased.

So, there is no surprise that when I was waiting at the SPA lobby the other day and a very nice woman was trying to to explain me something about the procedure I was just about to have, my whole attention was not on her, but on on a large plate generously filled with pastries. Cake squares, to be more precise. From the first glance, they looked puffy, crispy and deliberately filled with poppy seeds. I was far from being hungry, but the very first second my eyes caught them idly resting on the table, thoughts started running wild wondering how they would taste like. Would they be sweet and messy or maybe light and soft in the inside? Would the filling be moist and smooth or rather dry and  grainy? Would there by any other flavor notes besides sweetness, fresh poppy set-up and glorious butter erupting from the puff pastry embrace?

It's weird, isn't it? However, that was my inspiration for this whole-wheat lemon and sour cream bundt cake with poppy seed filling. I know, it's not puff pastry, and it's far from squares, but it has poppy seed filling after all. The latter is a total winner for me. I made twice as much as I need fore this cake, and used it to fill the dumplings and some leftover crepes later on. What can I say? Heaven.

When it comes to flour, as probably some of you have noticed already, I love incorporating wholegrain flour into various cakes and muffins, simply because it gives that nice depth and richness to the overall flavor. However, by being rough and heavy, wholegrain flour might also cause you some trouble providing nothing else but sourish taste and super dense texture. Sour cream in this case perfectly counterbalances the weight of the flour and makes the cake just the way you would like it to be - moist and tender. And don't forget the filling - smooth, sweet, brandy infused poppy seeds is just what you might need in here.

Oh, and so, I still don't know what the woman was telling me about...

Whole Wheat Lemon and Sour Cream Bundt Cake with Poppy Seed Filling

 Whole Wheat Lemon and Sour Cream Bundt Cake with Poppy Seed Filling

for the cake:
2 eggs
1 cup (200 g) sugar
1/2 cup (120 ml) grape-seed oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large lemon, zested and squeezed
1 cup (240 ml) low-fat sour cream
1 cup (120 g) whole wheat flour
1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

for the filling:
1/2 cup poppy seeds
1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp brandy

Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C) temperature. Grease your bundt cake pan with a little bit of butter and set aside.

To make the poppy seed filling, grind poppy seed in a coffee grinder.
Pour milk and honey into a saucepan and cook over medium heat. When mixture is warm, add poppy seeds and lower the heat. Simmer constantly stirring until the seeds absorb basically all the milk and the mixture is thick.
Take out from the stove and mix in the brandy. Set aside to cool.

To make the cake, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, grape-seed oil, vanilla extract and sour cream. Whisk to combine.
In another bowl, mix together both flours, baking soda and baking powder. Add dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Mix everything until it's well incorporated.
Pour half of the batter into the prepared bundt cake pan. Evenly spread the poppy seed filling and top with the remaining batter.
Bake for about 40 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack.

Whole Wheat Lemon and Sour Cream Bundt Cake with Poppy Seed Filling

Something similar:
- Spiced Orange Cake with Deep Chocolate Notes
- Orange Buckwheat-flour Squares

8 comments:

  1. Dear Migle, thank you for your confession about your obsession! :) After it I felt releived - I am not the only freak obsessed with food! :) Indeed I could recognize myself both in a grocery store and in the market. Unfortunately in my town we do not have small private bakeries otherwise I could definitely be found "standing there all spellbound in fascination" just like you are.
    And thus, for me your source of inspiration for this cake is not weird at all. And I am glad that you did not listen to the woman from the SPA staring at the plate with pastries instead. Because thanks to this we have got one more nice recipe of a tasty bundt cake. And I'm sure it is tasty because I am also a big fan of poppy seed filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! So, I guess, I'm not the only one living the world of food :)
      After all, it's really magical and absolutely worth living, isn't it? :)

      Delete
    2. Bernard Shaw's saying in epigraph to your post is the best answer. :)

      Delete
    3. Yep! ;) He's a wise man :)

      Delete
  2. Yum, your cake looks and sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake is SO pretty...love the filling inside. Just lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As lygiai taip pat visalaika galvoju apie maista. Visa laika, bet kai nakti nesimiega :)

    ReplyDelete