February 18, 2013

Very Chocolate Cake with Orange Curd Filling

If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you. 
Winnie the Pooh

Rich Chocolate Cake with Orange Curd and Chocolate Frosting

There are people who love celebrating their birthdays. And there are those who'd rather forget about them. Who'd rather hide somewhere underneath the blanket and wait until all the fuss is finally over.

I think, I fall into this category as well. The birthday non-lover one. Cause somehow I happen to lose all the excitement  and cheeriness as soon as that day approaches towards me, and I just keep on hoping that the next time I open my eyes I'll see it already waving a fatty goodbye. I know, it will definitely come the next year (and then the next year...), but then I 'll still have a beautiful bouquet of those 365 days in front of me which could be celebrated just because I feel like doing it, not because I have to. 

It's worth mentioning that, differently from many other birthay-fobics, I don't feel bad or paranoid counting the years irreversibly passing by. Though, I'm not very thrilled about this process either. I guess, somewhere in a way of life I just lost that genuine idea of a birthday, and it became rather a burden than a treat for me. 

covered in chocolate frosting

So, there is no surprise at all that I managed to overlook my blog's birthday as well. It was supposed to be a few months ago, but just recently I happened to be attentive enough to notice that furious glimpse of the calendar shooting at me. Well, I'm sorry. As I said, I was never good at birthdays.

To make up for this failure at least a little bit, I was trying very hard not to let 100th mark slip through my fingers. So here it is, the 100th blog post about me, my kitchen, and my kitchen affair. 100 steps towards deliciousness, sweeter life covered in a think cloud of sugar dust and a muffin mold full of dreams and wishes.

And if there is an occasion, there must be a cake as well. Rich and sinful making you feel that celebration mood penetrating deeply into every possible blood cell of yours while filling it with something so painfully delicious.

Moist and chocolate with a seriously silky note of orange

The first time I made this cake, I layered and frosted it only with chocolate, converting it into a knockingly chocolate pleasure. But now, wishing for a small refreshment in between, I added some orange curd which perfectly balanced the overall cake experience. It was subtle, still heavenly chocolate-y, but a little bit brighter in flavor. However, if you desire to dive into the  pure chocolate ocean, just omit the curd and double the quantities of ingredients for the chocolate frosting.

And simply enjoy it! Cause it is really worth being 100th!

Rich Chocolate Cake with Orange Curd and Chocolate Frosting


Rich Chocolate Cake with Orange Curd and Chocolate Frosting

for the sponge:
1 1/2 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
3/4 (90 g) cup whole-wheat flour
1/3 (40 g) cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup (240 ml) milk
1/3 (80 ml) grape-seed oil
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup (240 ml) boiling water

for the orange curd:
2 oz (50 g) butter
4 oz (115 g) granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten together
1 medium lemon
2 medium oranges

for the frosting:
3 oz (85 g) butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cup (90 g) powdered sugar
1/4 cup (30 g) cocoa powder
1/4 cup (60 ml) double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

To make the orange curd, melt the butter in a basing standing over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
Add sugar, eggs, juices and lemon and orange grated rind.
Cook gently constantly stirring without boiling until curd thickens sufficiently to coat back of the spoon. Be careful not to overheat the mixture, cause it may curdle and separate.
When the curd is done, pour it into clean and dry jar. Cover and let it cool before placing into a fridge.
The curd will last for up to 2 weeks.

To make the sponge, preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) temperature. Line 8-inch size springform pan with baking paper or foil.
In a large bowl combine sugar, both flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In another bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Pour in the milk, oil, vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
Pour wet mixture into the flour mixture, as the final touch adding boiling water. Mix thoroughly.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes until the toothpick, inserted into the middle of the cake, comes out clean.
When done, let the cake rest in the oven for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and chill completely.

While the cake is chilling, make the frosting. Using the electric mixer, mix together room temperature butter and powdered sugar. Add the cocoa powder, double cream, and vanilla, and keep on mixing until you get smooth and glossy frosting. Keep it in the fridge until ready to use.

To assemble the cake, cut the sponge into two even layers. Spread one layer with orange curd, and top it with the second sponge. Carefully and evenly cover it with the chocolate frosting and then put the whole cake into the fridge for at least an hour before serving.

Rich Chocolate Cake with Orange Curd and Chocolate Frosting

More layers?
- Meringue Cake with Red Currant Curd
- Flourless Carrot Cake with Marshmallow Filling

More deep chocolate notes?
- Chocolate Muffins with Red Wine
- Chocolate Cookie Balls

8 comments:

  1. va apelsininio nesu gaminusi. ar labai skirias nuo citrininio?
    o derinys labai geras. ypač ta paskutinė foto verčia apsilaižyt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apelsininis šiek tiek švelnesnis už citrininį, bet lygiai toks pat gėris :)
      Šiaip tai curd'ai yra mano didysis atradimas. Esu dariusi iš rabarbarų, serbentų, greifrutų. Tikrų tikriausia šilkinė ir gardi pasaka! aka smaližių rojus :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to one of the best blogs about love affair between its author and kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ojė, pamačiau pyragą ir net nepaskaičiau teksto :) su gimtadieniu!! žavių, polėkio kupinų, metų :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kadangi aš pati sugebu pra'skip'int gimtadienį, tai nieko tokio ;)
      ...ir dėkui!
      Polėkio ateinančiais metais tikrai labai reikės :)

      Delete
  4. Migle, how funny that I happened to do this when you have a birthday - happy birthday and thanks for joining in the cake extravaganza. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! It was a very pleasant coincidence :)

      Delete