January 31, 2013

Creamy Barley with Coconut and Pomegranate Seeds

I am the organizer. The one who likes to have all things considered. The one who keeps everything in order. Everything in (the right) place. I think it provides a great sense of security and clarity, sometimes desperately needed in this unexpected everyday life. Cause when the  world nearby falls down, you can still look around and find something just the way you wanted to be. Just the way you left it embraced with your last touch. And that brings a pinch of comfort. At least a tiny one.

I also like to have a plan. For today. For tomorrow. For times to come. For that unexpected future. Cause it's simply good to know where I'm heading. It's good to feel the life soaking into me as I am moving forward. Though, I never ask for a guaranteed direction, a clear path or a secure success - I can take it with my own hands. Instead, I ask just for a small nod. For a blink of an eye that would whisper me an approval. A sign of rightness that everything I'm doing and everywhere I'm going is just okay.

Pomegranate

Yes, I like to have a plan. And when I cannot come up with one, it seems that I'm living in a world's shadow where every new day is another yesterday. I'm like that scared little girl who hides behind closed doors and shivers from every single sun beam struggling through the dusty window. Day after day it only gets worse, cause this girl is not sure whether she's supposed to stay or to go out.

That's why she needs a plan. A travel guide. At least a compass.
But even when she has one, it might break as well...

Cardamon and barley

Right before the holidays, I was planning to make a review of all the books that I purchased last year. It's really been a quite lavish year, and there are some great treasure worth to be shared with.

Well, apparently it didn't happen, and though it doesn't forbid me to do all that later, but being super short in time it looks quite impossible right now. 

However, I really want to mention one of the best of the bests that I was lucky to put on my already- too-small cookbook shelf. Undoubtedly, that's Sara's The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods. It's a book full of emotion, purity, genuine love for food, and more than just great recipes. Each of them has a magical story behind that blossoms with every dish made and every perfectly perfect picture taken.

It's simply beautiful in all the terms possible. It's gorgeous, somehow romantic, very San-Francisco, and, well, just simple. But we like simple, don't we? At least I like. In a world full of complications, cooking should be the place with a simple note. And that's what it does in this book. Fresh produced-based ingredients, unsophisticated techniques and a marvelous result - what else can you wish for?

Just take a look at this creamy coconut barley recipe - only few unpretentious components, a tiny sprinkle of time and a delicious dish is right in front of you.

Creamy Barley with Coconut and Pomegranate Seeds

I could say that pomegranates go incredibly great with coconut, and I was lucky to grab one before their season is over. Though, I think strawberries or other berries in summer time would go just as well. Even bananas or dates can be a great accompaniment in here. Besides, this dish is vegan-friendly as well.

Barley and pomegranate

Creamy Barley with Coconut and Pomegranate Seeds
adapted from Sprouted Kitchen

for 3 servings:
1 1/4 cup pearled barley
1 can  (13.5 oz) light coconut milk
1/4 tsp freshly ground cardamon
pinch of salt
shredded coconut, lightly toasted
pomegranate seeds
pomegranate molasses

Rinse the barley in a mesh strainer. Add them together with 1 cup water to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
When the water is almost absorbed, add a third of coconut milk and cardamon. Stirring occasionally wait until barley absorbs almost all the liquid, then add another third of the coconut milk. Repeat this procedure until barley is cooked through, but still al dante. If necessary, add a bit more water and continue simmering until you get the desired result.
Finally, stir in the salt. It will boost all the flavors.
Serve topped with some toasted coconut, pomegranate seeds, and pomegranate molasses, adjusting the quantities according to your own taste.

Creamy Barley with Coconut and Pomegranate Seeds

Also creamy:
- Carrot Risotto

3 comments:

  1. What an interesting use for barley! I love coconut, so I have to try this.
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Migle, I am absolutely fascinated with your blog! Your photos are phantastic, recipes are simple but off out of the beaten path at the same time like the recipe of this creamy barley for instance. But what distinguishes your blog from many other also with nice recipes and pictures is that each your recipe is accompanied by a personal story or just reflection about something from your world.
    Thank you very much for tremndeous work you do and for the positive emotions you awake!
    - Nataly
    PS. The recipe of the creamy barley is already copied and is in a waiting list. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice comment! Thank you very much for such lovely words! My heart sings knowing that somebody likes my blog. It means a lot! Thank you ;)

      Delete