November 27, 2012

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles with a kiss of Rosemary

If I do something, I try to do it to the fullest. Even when it comes to being mad.

One moments and I get helplessly furious, my mobile phone starts flying, words come out before being carefully shaped into a proper sentence, and my thoughts keep on painfully messing around while sowing the shattering  panic and despair all over the place. But when someone disappoints me, once again, I do not run and shout. I surrender. I withdraw from the war-zone like a wounded soldier that is about to carry the scar for the rest of his life. It's aching, every morning more than in the evening. It's burning from very deep within, and it never allows to forget. About the pain of false promise. About the everlasting minute of hope. Of expectation. Of belief...

Pumpkin Waffles with Fresh Rosemary

But I don't say anything. I keep the mute on and simply forget the birthday. Forget the congratulation part. Forget the smile-y wishful attitude.

As if isn't supposed to exist...

I try to erase the past as if it never happened. And I move on at highest speed possible without ever looking back. Silently, embracing only a breath clumsily penetrating the air.

Chopped Rosemary

Sometimes friendship is not forever. It's just not. Sometimes it's nothing more but a short twist in a long journey of life. The good things is - I don't have to share waffles then. I can keep all these crispy and comfortingly sweet breakfast treats entirely for myself. 

Did I mention that they were kissed by rosemary too? It was a gorgeous kiss, full of love and passion, charging the place with the most splendid romance. With the violent heat electrifying the ceilings and forcing you to melt in a moment of pure honesty of flavor.

Pumpkin Waffles with Fresh Rosemary

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles with Rosemary
adapted from A Passionate Plate

1 cup (120 g) whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 stem fresh rosemary, chopped (that ends up as 1 heaped Tbsp)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 eggs
1 cup (215 g) pumpkin puree
1/2 cup (240 ml / 245 g) plain natural yogurt, or buttermilk
1/4 cup (65 g) light brown sugar
3 Tbsp grape-seed oil

Preheat the waffle iron.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, rosemary, and all the remaining spices.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, yogurt, sugar and oil.
Carefully incorporate wet mixture into the flour and slice blend. Lightly mix everything, until all the big lumps dissolve. Though, be careful not to over-mix, cause waffles may not rise then.
Spray the waffle iron with a little bit of additional oil and cook the waffles according to the iron maker's instructions.


* If you have some time, leave the batter to rest for 15-20 minutes before cooking the waffles. In that way, you'll get reasonably fluffier waffles. I promise!

Pumpkin Waffles with Fresh Rosemary

Other breakfast ideas:
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Crepe Cake
- French Toast with Coffee Twist

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been going through some rough times, but whatever happened, it will get better soon. Time has magnificent healing powers and I truly believe things work out the way they are supposed to. Your waffles look asbolutely delicious and I bet the rosemary adds a lovely flavor alongside the pumpkin. Chin up and keep enjoying the delicious waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julia!
    Yes, times is all that's needed sometimes to put the smiley face on once again :)
    I know it will come! And pretty soon!
    In the meantime, there are waffles :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Migle, apie mane parašei :) žodis žodin. o tu laikykis, kas bebūtų. kai kurie žmonės tiesiog turi likti praeityje, ir tiek.

    o vafliai, vafliai! prašysiu kalėdų senelio vaflinės, matyt. kiek galima į kitų skanėstus dairytis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jei buvai gera, Kalėdų senelis ją tau tikrai atneš ;)

      Aš vaflinę jau gerus du metus turiu, tačiau net gėda prisipažinti, jog per visą šį laiką ištraukusi vos porą kartų buvau. O kaip man jos reikėjo, pamenu!..
      Dabar lygiai taip pat reikia tos, kurioje kepami ploni vėliau į (ledų) vamzdelius susukami vafliai. Reikia iki negalėjimo, nors bijau, jog su šia reikalai bus dar prastesni - geriausiu atveju vasarą vieną kartą dulkes nupūsiu :)
      Na, bet reikia! ;)

      Delete
  4. Very nice shoots and now I'm hungry! I love your waffles ^_*
    (sorry for my bad english)
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete