October 31, 2012

it's Green, and it's Delicious

Perfect moments come and go all the time, and people don't notice.
Daniel Patterson

Vilnius and its summertime

I feel like I'm about to blush understanding that my problems compared to Hurricane Sandy hitting the East cost seem like a butterfly desperately trying to compete with an elephant (though, an elephant is quite a positive creature, isn't it?). Cause what do I have? Chilly wind wickedly biting into my cheeks? A few already frozen fingertips desperately searching for the warm glove caress? A thin (super thin) lay of snow covering the mournful grass and the last greenish leave on the upper branch of maple tree. Well, and the temperature just a little bit, even unnoticeable,  below zero...

Yeah, that's pretty much. But it still drives me crazy! It makes me wanna scream while hiding under the blanket with a killing-hot cup of tea. The third one in a row already. It induces me to dig into my mind searching for the last taste of summer. Warmth. Dreamy sunlight reflection. Panorama of the city which used to be so cheerful and brisk.

Vilnius and its summertime

So, I searched my picture album grasping to every bit of summer taste that I could possibly find. And I checked every single cookbook hoping to trace the heat that once was magically flooding into my bones. Well, it did not work out the way I expected, but in the end I stopped at Victoria Boutenko "Green Smoothie Revolution: The Radical Leap Towards Natural Health", and it whispered me a promise. 

Smoothies are something for summer. For the morning with bare feet still sleepy shuffling to the kitchen. For the days to begin with the sun knock on the clumsy night curtain. You open it up and you feel that everything is going to be great. Cause no matter what the sun will comfort and spirit you up. Just the way the smoothie will heal your nightmare wound.

So, yes, smoothies...

Coming back to the book, I did not copy any particular recipe from it, but rather used as an inspiration. And actually it is an amazingly great source of inspiration. Strikingly simple recipes are echoing the inexhaustible variety of delicious smoothies - all without a doubt worth trying. The first part of the book is devoted to a little bit of green theory and very engaging talking about the importance of greens, about the smoothies themselves and how we can get the best out of them. Whereas the second part is a place where the real magic begins. There you can find 200 recipes, covering smoothies for beginners or adventurous souls, super-green or savory drinks, soups and puddings, as well as some great smoothie recipes that might be the most successful in a hand of a child. Or even a pet!

So if you want to go green in a smoothie pace, you should definitely grab this book. In the meantime, treat yourself with a glass of the following green brightness. Cheers!

Green Vitamin Smoothie

Green Vitamin Smoothie

for 2 servings
1 medium apple, peeled, cored and dices
1 medium pear, cored and diced
1 banana, peeled and diced
1 cup fresh arugula
3/4 cup water

Put all the ingredients into the blender and puree until smooth. Add a little bit more water if needed.
Divide between two glasses and enjoy the vitamins coming into you.

  Green Vitamin Smoothie

Other smoothie inspirations:
- Chocolate Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Avocado Banana Smoothie

No comments:

Post a Comment