October 14, 2012

in a haste or in a tiny minute of peace

Sometime I stop and ask myself whether everything I'm doing is really meaningful and truly worth the efforts I put in. Whether it will lead me into the right future, the one that I greatly want to be. Would it make my dreams, hopes, wishes and silent prays materialize. Would it let me be wordlessly proud of the way I got over. Of the challenges I fearlessly withstood. Would it bring me the smile, happiness and comforting sense that this is right. Just right. The most right that it could possible be at this moment... 

But even if now feels quite right, can I be equally certain about tomorrow?

Rice and Yogurt Cake with Cowberries

These questions are slightly torturing me, especially now, when the business is thunderously taking over my normal daily round. When the finish line is right by my side. Dangerously trampling at my doorstep. Waiting to be violated. Strode over. When the new life - not prayed for, but even so here - begins to wave from across the path, yet to be able to respond in kind I firstly have to find my own answers. Where...? What...?How...?

The questions are keep on mushrooming. The ideas are piling onto each other. The desires are getting bigger and more-demanding. But the time - the thing, probably, the most needed at the moment - is still missing. It goes on. Runs over. Belts along. Or simply fades away...

Due to this, I nearly missed the last handful of cowberries at my local farmers market. Luckily, they managed to waited for me, until that overloaded schedule of mine could spare them some time and attention. So here I am, sharing with you a very great recipe of gluten-free rice and yogurt cake with cowberries that could be equally savoured in a haste as well as in a tiny minute of peace. No matter what, it still remains remarkably delicious. That I know for sure!

  Rice and Yogurt Cake with Cowberries 

Rice and Yogurt Cake with Cowberries (gluten-free)

1 cup (167 g) rice semolina, though you can use regular wheat semolina, just the cake will no longer be totally rice-y and gluten-free
1/2 cup (50 g) rice flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup (200 g) brown sugar
1 cup (240 ml) plain natural yogurt, or buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup / ~6 oz (180 g) cowberries

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) temperature. Line bread 9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix together semolina, flour, baking soda, and sugar. Pour in the yogurt and beat in the eggs. Mix carefully just until incorporated.
Add cowberries, and give another slight stir.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake on the medium rank for about 1 hour until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Transfer on a wire rack and let the cake cool before slicing.

  Rice and Yogurt Cake with Cowberries

More with cowberries:

5 comments:

  1. I have never seen or heard of cowberries. I would think you could replace them with cranberries....or maybe even blueberries. My son's girlfriend was recently diagnosed and can't have gluten....this looks like something I could make at Thanksgiving. Thanks...it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Nancy,
      I talked a little bit about cowberries over here: http://mykitchenaffair.blogspot.com/2012/08/late-summer-rubies.html
      and, yes, you definintely can replace them with cranberries - the taste and the final result will be just the same! :)

      Delete
  2. I just want to thank you for posting this recipe...sounds great, I'm totally gluten free and I belv' celiac, anyway, I can't wait to try this one. ...late summer rubies, love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will like it as much as I did ;) Let me knoe how it goes!

      Delete
  3. Lo tratare solo le cambiare la semolina de arroz por harina de tapioca

    ReplyDelete