September 07, 2012

Yellow Wax Bean Crumble, and how I became meat intolerant

I never considered myself vegetarian, even though the total amount of meat that I've been consuming was always close to the fatty zero. Something hard to believe in, when you live with a family which a real ancestor of a devoted carnivore dynasty. So committed to its roots that there's simply no bright day without at least a tiny bit of meat (which can easily be subtracted to mostly pork) gently touching the lips and boosting the body with a pile of succulent proteins. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner - everything is considered and embraced with this spectacular diet, not forgetting to include the snacking part as well.

The Days of Capital City in Vilnius

Whereas me, I've always been the recessive one. The one who is walking alone and trying not to get in a way of carnivores. The one who's perception of food is standing on the totally opposite pillar. So, when my parents were still forcing me to eat meatloaves, sausages or hot-dogs, falsely thinking that my stubbornness is only a temporary thing, I would mercileslly throw these edible things away through the window (oh yes, I would!). And when they were serving, to their carnivore mind, a beautiful and marvelously juice steak with a few potatoes and some salad on the side, I would eat only vegetables persistently refusing to touch the meat. Or I would simply hide it somewhere in the back of the fridge using the moment when everybody is busily dealing with their plates and cannot pay enough attention to me. Cause it's always better to sort out any kind of consequences for not treasuring the food when the whole fuzz is finally over, and somebody maybe is still hungry for another portion.

The Days of Capital City in Vilnius

However, I was pretty lucky to have parents that after a few unsuccessful attempts to make me eat something that I truly did not feel like eating simply gave up and just let me flow my own way. And that's what I did. From that moment on till the very now, I've been consuming tons of vegetables, plenty of grains and a generous amount of  dairy products, somehow avoiding only the milk itself (isn't that weird - to eat yogurt, cheese, curd and all the other stuff, but be not able to stand milk?). When I needed a quick snack there always was a great selection of fruits on hand that very often overshadowed and even exceeded any other food consumed throughout the day. And yes, the sweet indulgence, that rich-sugary-chocolaty-crumbly goodie called the dessert has also been a part of my diet, though strongly defined with a moderation framework. At least was being tried to define...

Yellow Wax-Been Crumble

In this rhythm I stepped into the present. And what can I say?  Recently I almost fully erased meat from my every-day menu, eating it just when there's no other option, though the option always is, isn't it?. Or when I end up in a situation where a connection with meat is simply unavoidable. I'm not yet that crazily picky to refuse to have a soup prepared with an enormous amount of love but whose base unfortunately is a chicken or beef stock. Or decline the invitation for an Italian-style home-made pizza with a few bits of bacon on top. Or... there can me many more ors when I'm just simply not against a small consumption of meat. And when I even think that it's better with it than without it.

However, all these years without a real connection with meat have resulted in certain outcomes. Last weekend while attending the annual Days of the Capital City event I was eagerly wondering through the stalls that were proudly situated all over the city and bursting with various food - from hearty dishes to small sugary indulgence as well as the most delicious refreshments. No surprise that meat was also here, and I was super excited to try a small bite of cured ostrich that I've been thinking about for some time lately. So I grabbed a piece, put it in my mouth and I felt... oh my!!! the prevailing disgust penetrating in every bone of my body... cause I tasted nothing else but the blood coming out from that tiny piece of meat. And even though at first I thought it was only because of the ostrich that I haven't ever had before, but when the same feeling erupted from the simple cured beef, which was quite loved a while ago, it made me realize that I've just become a meat-intolerant.

The Days of Capital City in Vilnius

So, I guess, I have to continue sticking up to my vegetable-grain-fruit relationship. And you know what? I'm not disappointed at all!

What do you thing about some yellow beans for dinner?

Yellow Wax-Been Crumble

Yellow Wax Bean Crumble

1 lb (500g) yellow wax beans (you can use green snap-beans as well)
1/3 loaf ciabatta (or any other white bread)
1 Tbsp butter
1 red bell-pepper, cut into small bits
1 onion, chopped
1/3 cup / 1 1/2 oz (40 g) Cheddar, grated
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine
2 Tbsp fresh oregano
salt
pepper

Boil the beans in salted water for 5 min. Take then out from the water and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
Grease baking dish with a little bit of butter. Cut bread into small chunks and mix them with 1 tablespoon oregano, half of the cheese and  a little bit of salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Pour into the baking dish and bake for 10-15 minutes, until bread is crunchy and cheese is melted.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter and olive oil in a medium pan. Cook there onions until they become transparent. Add the bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, until the pepper is soft.
Pour in the wine, add the remaining oregano, and cook for another 5 minutes. Toss in the beans and saute while stirring for the last couple of minutes.
Pour the vegetables into the greased baking dish, top with bread crumbs and remaining cheese.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

Yellow Wax-Been Crumble

8 comments:

  1. Yum! What a recipe! And lovely shots too - look at all that cured meat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man labai patiko recepto idėja :) aš dabar po pietų (cepelinų :)) grįžau namo, vadinas..), bet mielų mieliausiai juos būčiau iškeitus į va tas pupeles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kaip smagu, kad patiko :) ir sveika sugrįžus, nors turbūt tik trumpam, ar ne?.. :)

      Delete
  3. LAbai patiko įrašas :) Pusryčiaudama sukramčiau jį :) Oh blog'ą deduosi į lentynėlę ;) Patinka Kitchen aferistai :) Ir pati ją netradicinę verčiu su karnivoru pašonėje ;) kikiki :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. džiugu, jog patiko. Visuomet lauksiu užsukant ir pasidalinant mintimis :)

      Delete
  4. I just picked up some yellow wax beans today from my CSA. I had never even heard of them before so I did a quick search on foodgawker and ended up here. I'm excited to try out this recipe... it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be looking forward for the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete