September 25, 2012

Home-made Honey Mustard for an Amazing Panzanella


Tomatoes

Something homemade usually gives the association of something good. Something natural. Something known and trustful. Though, as well as something time-consuming and maybe even demanding - in other words, a little bit scary and off-putting. Something that might be easier to replace with other something - something bought, done by the others, shaped by the others, flavored by the others, and accordingly not that trustful anymore. 

Home-made mustard and toasted bread

Trust is probably the main ingredient in food that I'm constantly looking for. I want, I like and I need to know what's peacefully resting on my plate, what's swirling in my cup, what's reluctantly chilling in my soup bowl, and what's smiling from the other side of my marmalade jar. Knowing is calming. If I know what's in my cookies, I am not scared of all those calories and a high sugar doze that they are mischievously bringing in front of of my impatiently craving eyes.

Exactly due to this trust-need, I momentarily fell for the home-made mustard the very first second I spotted it on the Design Sponge. Right when I took the first short glance at it I knew that it will definitely make on my favorite list. Soon. Very soon. And here it is - running among the first-runners and trying to overtake the home-made yogurt, home-made ricotta cheese, and home-made peanut butter. Simply because it is capable of it. It's worth being a leader. It's worth being praised. It's simply worth being indulged!

Panzanella with home-made honey mustard dressing

Home-made Honey Mustard
adapted from Design Sponge

for 1/2 cup:
1/3 cup dry mustard
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp honey
pinch of salt
pinch of freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small pot. Whisk to blend.
Bring to simmer over medium heat, and keep on simmering for 5 minutes. At this stage, you should taste the mixture, to add a little bit more salt or honey, according to your preferences.
When the mustard is thoroughly heated and slightly thickened (though, it will thicken more while chilling), ladle it into sterilized jar.
Refrigerate and consume within a month, or you can water bath the jar for 10 minutes and then you can use it within a year, though I don't think that you will be able to keep it uneaten this long.


Panzanella with Very-Honey (homemade) Mustard Dressing

1 large tomato
1/4 loaf ciabatta bread*
olive oil
fresh thyme
few leaves of arugula
1/4 cup sheep's cheese (or simply feta)
1 tsp honey mustard (recipe above)
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp honey (more or less - according to your preferences)
salt
pepper

Cut the bread into small pieces. Toss with some olive oil, sprinkle with thyme and bake in 350 F (180 C) temperature oven until the bread is crispy, 10-15 minutes.
In the meantime, cut the tomato and mix it with arugula and cheese.
In a little bowl, whisk together mustard, oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
When bread is toasted, mix it with the salad and honey mustard dressing.
You can serve the salad immediately, or chill it in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours for all the flavors to combine perfectly. Personally I prefer to eat it right away while the bread is still crispy and did not become soggy. But after all, it's your choice!


* I had some very great left-over onion ciabatta that I used for this salad and that gave an amazing additional roasted onion flavor. However, you can definitely use the regular one, or you can just slice a quarter of the medium onion and then toss these slices with bread cubes before toasting them in the oven. You should get very close results.

the leftovers

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to teach my boyfriend this recipe. It looks simple, hearty, and fresh. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete