July 02, 2012

Avocado and Lime (getaway) Bread

Alice: How long is forever?
White Rabbit: Sometimes, just one second...
Lewis Carol

Beauty of the countryside


The first days of July finally gave us a beautiful weekend; sunny and warm - perfect for a small getaway. For a sweet escape from the city and it's never-sleeping traffic lights. From the airless apartment on the fourth floor and the nine-store building in front of it once in while fully covering the sun. It gave us a chance to wade through the fields without  a fear of getting wet from the rain that's been frustrating everyone for while now. A chance to once again smell the summery flavored grass and uncontrollably wander with the eyes around the horizon where the sky blue meats the very tops of outermost forest.

Growing up in the city I particularly treasure these moments. I fell like I've been robbed many years ago when my parents decided to sell our house in the countryside, and I was left standing barefoot on the cold asphalt which was supposed to be my new playground. In that way, I had to learn to grow up in a civilized urban environment not being able to ride the horse or milk a cow that my friends were very busy with during their summer vacations. Now it seems more than normal, but in my childhood era, spending summers in the city meant the most boring and lonely time ever. Though, I've never complained too much, because in that way I learned to love the city like nobody else does and better than anyone notice its beauty - even in the oddest corners orabundantly charm lacking streets. Eventually I proudly acquired the unconditional love for the noisy and always running city life at the same time treasuring every single window of opportunity to  fell the grass giving my feet a tickle.

Beauty of the countryside

This weekend was one of them, letting me come back home a truly better person - with a wider smile on my face, very well inspired and carrying a huge bouquet of wild flowers - a blooming sign of such a fragile summer beauty.

Beauty of the countryside

But before going to enjoy the magnificent glory of nature, there's always one essential more down-to-earth must to be fulfilled - that is to take care of food. By doing that we usually fill our basket with various fruits, seasonal vegetables, handful of nuts, a couple of home-baked cookies and something else which every time is different. This weekend it was the avocado and lime bread baked early in the morning and  impatiently wrapped still warm. Since I had some avocados left from the daily morning smoothies and quite a lot of limes bought at a very good price, I felt a serious need to create something out of them. That's how I end up with this bread happening to be very moist, sweet and, I could say, pretty healthy too. I used the whole wheat flour, but if you don't like its deep grainy flavor you can substitute it with all-purpose flour (just omit the water then). The same with sugar - fell free to replace brown with white. And just enjoy it fully with a little bit of butter and a handful of summer berries on top.

Avocado Lime Bread

Avocado and Lime Bread
adapted from Fuss Free Cooking

1 and 1/2 avocado
juice and zest from 1 lime
2 Tbsp maple syrup
3/4 cup (165 g) light brown sugar
1 egg
5 Tbsp water
1 cup (120 g) whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
pumpkin seeds

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180C) temperature.
Line baking pan for bread with the parchment paper and grease the sides lightly with oil.
In a bowl, mash the avocado with lime juice and zest, maple syrup and sugar. Beat in the egg and water.
Add the flour and mix until well incorporated.
Pour the batter into the baking pan. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the toothpick comes out clean.
Take out from the oven and let the bread cool before cutting.


The recipe was also submitted to YeastSpotting

Avocado Lime Bread

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful styling. Suits the mood of the article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :)
    Do you think it would be possible to make it with out the brown sugar? :)

    Line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Line!

      Of course it would be possible. Just substitute it with the same amount of white sugar. Or you can use the honey instead - take 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp honey, and then add 1/8 tsp baking soda :)

      I usually use light brown sugar (demerara or farino) so that's why almost all the recipes here are calling for it. But sugar is very interchagable thing - you can easily substitute white with brown, or the other way around without loosing the desireble outcome :)

      Good luck, and let me know how it turns out! :)

      Delete
  3. Mine turned out a little more compact and not quite as pretty as yours did, but it was delicious. It's pretty sweet so maybe next time I will cut back on the brown sugar, but I will definitely make it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear that you liked it! This bread is one of my favorite ;)

      Delete
  4. So, I was wondering on the measurement of avocado? I live in the Virgin Islands and the avocados are in season, but most varieties here are HUGE! Nothing like you would get in the store. Just weighed one and it is 1lb 4oz, and not the largest I have had this year. I really have no idea what a typical store bought one would weigh, it has been so long since I bought one.
    So, any clue on how much would work well in this recipe? 1 cup.. 2 cup? lol
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nancy! When mashed, there should be about 1 or 1 1/2 cup avocados. But even if you ended up with a little mit more, there won't be a problem. The bread would only get denser and moister.

      I hope, it would work for you! :)

      Delete
  5. 3/4 cup of sugar makes it unhealthy as indeed all bread is but I used the honey and it was delish.. well I do need my indulgences! Great recipe! Might include it on my site with a backlink to you if you are agreeable... contact me at clare-i@mail.com about recipe Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I made mine, and it was so moist and even bitter on the outside. Can you tell me why?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      the truth is, sometimes when heated/cooked/baked avocado becomes bitter. Some people even say that you should never cook an avocado cause it changes its flavor from creamy and nutty to bitter. However, for me, it's really nothing else but a gamble, cause I've baked this avocado bread more than a few times already and just once it had that a bit unwelcoming touch of bitterness. But as you say, it's only on the outside, so what I did, I just brushed still warm bread with lime and sugar syrup.

      Delete