April 30, 2012

Chocolate Cookie Balls

I didn't know him. And I didn't know his name either. I just heard his nice accent and saw a beautiful profile from a distance. 

He was sitting next to me. Side by side. But I didn't say hello to him. Just passed the list where he wrote his name. But I couldn't read it.

I wish I had some chocolates. I would've given him one. Or two. It would've been a silent hello. It would've been instead the hello. I am sure, it would've been better than hello.

Chocolate cookie balls would have worked as well...

Chocolate Cookie Balls


The most special thing about these balls is that they are very deeply penetrated into my entire childhood. The most innocent moments of summer carelessly spent in the back yard. The oldest friend and our  chocolate faces. Sticky fingers awkwardly counting the coins for another treat. And those never too long, but always too short school breaks shared with deeply sweet flavor lingering there for a while.

It's not about loving them (even though, I do), but about tasting the memories of the past more than just perfectly captured in one moist chocolate bite.

Besides, in Lithuanian we call them baby potatoes. But don't ask me why - I don't know. I just follow the rules...


Chocolate Cookie Balls


  Chocolate Cookie Balls

10.5 oz (300 g) breadcrumbs (or finely crumbled cookies) + 1/3 cup more for rolling
5 oz (140 g) butter, melted
1/2 can (6 oz or 177 ml) sweetened condensed milk
3-4 Tbsp cocoa powder
3-4 Tbsp syrup (such as almond, hazelnut, amaretto, coffee...)
3-4 Tbsp brandy, rum or liqueur (optional)

In a bowl, mix together the butter, condensed milk, cocoa, syrup and alcohol. Stir in the breadcrumbs and mix until well incorporated. You can even knead with your hands, because the dough will be just slightly sticky.
Shape the balls (one or two-bite size), and roll them in the remaining breadcrumbs (you can also use cocoa powder, shredded coconut, ground almonds or hazelnuts instead). 
Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

Chocolate Cookie Balls

No comments:

Post a Comment